Enjoy this healthy update on a fast food classic next time you’re looking for a healthy – but scrumptious – weeknight dinner.
That’s why, over the years, I’ve spent time developing healthy versions of old classics that most of us would hesitate to go near now, and this one in particular always has my husband and children lining up for seconds.
It’s an updated version of the old KFC classic, and if I’m being honest, it’s not the same as fried chicken in bucket, but sometimes close enough is good enough – and trust me when I say it’s a real crowd-pleaser.
- 10-12 chicken drumsticks (you can also make a mix of drumsticks and other chicken pieces of your preference. In my house, we use drumsticks, chicken tenders and skinless breast or thighs)
- 1 lemon rind, grated (use a little less if you don’t like such a strong lemon flavour)
- 1 TBSP garlic salt
- 1 TBSP lemon pepper
- 1 TBSP rock salt
- 2 TBSP oil
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour (we opt for gluten free self raising flour in our house due to food allergies but either work well)
- Preheat oven to 210C and spray and preheat a large oven tray.
- Mix above ingredients, excluding the flour, into a bowl until a paste forms.
- Rub mixture onto drumsticks and chicken pieces of our choice.
- Once covered, pour SR flour into a plastic bag and throw in drumsticks and chicken to shake and coat.
- Remove from bag and place the chicken on the oven tray and cook for 30-35 mins until golden and cooked through.
- Serve with your favourite choice of salads. We serve with a homemade coleslaw and oven fries!